Creative Director & Event Producer, Live CommunicationsDetroit
The Creative Director of Live Communications is a senior role principally for our work with Ford Communications for projects (both large and small) from brief to execution.
This means being entrepreneurial in interrogating and developing briefs, creating the communications master plan, conceiving and creating the big idea, then managing through to successful completion. The role will ensure that all work - from creative concepts to logistics and technical – delivers against agreed objectives and surpasses clients’ expectations.
Flexible and adaptable, the Creative Director of Live Communications should be able to build strong and durable relationships with both colleagues and clients who have the highest expectations of first-class creativity and delivery.
Our relationship with Ford was initiated over four decades ago. Today, Ford Motor Company is a pillar client for whom Imagination works globally. Our primary responsibility, as a long-standing partner agency, is delivering connected experiences across channels, supporting Ford’s dialogue with diverse audiences, external and internal. Ford looks to Imagination for breakthrough experiences, whether auto show exhibitions, product launches, media presentations or training programs. In addition to producing and managing such events, we generate content and collateral.
- To come to work each day to support Imagination doing epic work that no other agency is doing!
- To take a lead role to successfully deliver a wide variety of creative projects
- Originate from the outset: help to craft the brief, develop the creative idea, build out the creative concept into a detailed executable project and produce the messaging to ensure the idea delivers against the comms objective(s)
- Work closely with relevant creative, design, production and logistics teams and third-party suppliers to brief them and collaborate throughout the lifecycle of the program, developing timelines and running the projects
- Interpret the client briefs and communicate that strategy to a wider team, leading the brainstorming process and creative development
- Develop corporate messaging & communications objectives and ensure this messaging is delivered by the creative
- Lead the creative production process, often across several events simultaneously
- Commission, brief and direct creative / content elements – copy writing, script writing, graphic design, animation, film production, speaker support
- Collaborate with colleagues on the creative development & production of films, animations and other digital assets
- Work closely with clients on content development, providing continuity for compelling ‘story-telling’ within the PR Communications channels
- Co-ordinate suppliers pre- and post-event
- Manage all aspects of on-site delivery; briefing crew and heads of department and running the live show elements
- Maintain administration and relevant reporting and planning systems
- Monitor all aspects of projects including proposal, budget, schedule development and delivery
- Understand and carefully manage the complexities of multi-agency scenarios
- Guide and support senior clients during rehearsals, both off-site and on-site, sometimes working late nights when necessary
- Ensure strong commercial management of projects – focusing on time management and profitability
- Work closely with Ford Account Directors and Managers on relevant ‘crossover’ projects such as Autoshows
- Be able to quickly develop a strong understanding of the clients’ brands, products and competitive environment
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and sustain client relationships through a good understanding of client’s business environment and through superb project delivery
- Present show concepts internally and to clients at all levels
- Responsible for integrating all creative show elements– digital, lighting, sound, physical and content
- Take the lead in complying with company policies and procedures, for example (but not limited to) ISO documentation, Information Security.
Experience and skills required:
- Experience working on 360º experiential campaigns and amplification of experiential projects into other channels (earned, owned and paid)
- Experience and proven understanding of PR communications, earned, owned and paid media
- Experience of content-driven experiential activation
- Be a proven creative thinker, with the ability to originate and deliver powerful creative concepts
- Be a persuasive, compelling presenter, with the ability to bring ideas to life and sell them to clients / stakeholders with conviction and clarity
- Good understanding of branding and communications within events. Experienced in developing corporate / product messaging into creative communications
- Excellent copy writing and copy editing skills
- Excellent presentation writing skills with proficiency in PowerPoint or Keynote and Google Slides
- Experience working across a range of industry sectors and multiple types of experiential projects, including B2B events/exhibitions, B2C events/exhibitions, product launches, brand activations, sponsorships, PR stunts, virtual events & shoots and public events
- Must be able to communicate well and build relationships with clients and other departments, have confidence and the proven ability to communicate face to face with senior management
- Good knowledge of technical, digital and logistical aspects of event production, film, animation & digital production. Experience of broadcast services in relation to live events – especially multi-cam direction & creative production
- Demonstrate ability to effectively manage a portfolio of projects at one time
- Demonstrate successful onsite management and delivery ensuring projects reflect the brief and meets client/brand objectives
- Sufficient experience to take sole responsibility for delivering events & projects
- Can write accurate and timely reports as well as briefing internal teams
- A positive, can-do attitude along with the ability to work across a wide range of projects, often to tight deadlines
- Intelligent, ambitious and highly motivated team player with a commitment to quality and professionalism
- Calm in a crisis, extremely organized, pro-active with good interpersonal skills.
- Flexible, patient, able to prioritize and a good negotiator
- Must be able to travel domestically & internationally for periods up to two weeks at a time.
Financial / Commercial:
- Involved with the project budget creation process and schedules (working with the relevant production, digital and account teams). Review the project budgets and schedules to ensure they are in line with the overall project delivery timelines and available client budgets and proactively ensures our clients’ investments deliver value for money and meet their overall objectives
- Strong financial acumen with proven ability to manage budgets
- Accountable for all project revenue (meet/exceed revenue targets) and ensure effective use of the Imagination team’s time
- Works closely with the Client Service Director / Business Director / Account Director in the growth and development of their client. Capable of generating and implementing revenue generating ideas.
- Leads by behavior and attitude, not through position or tenure
- Thinks strategically – knowledge of Imagination’s and Client’s practices
- Inspires creativity and innovation – imagines creative solutions
- Drives results – achieves high levels of customer satisfaction.
Candidates who are not US citizens or US permanent residents need to have authorization to work in the US in order to apply.
Imagination is an experience design company founded on the principle of Independent Creativity.
Independent of mind, spirit and action, we remain free to find the right answers to our clients’ strategic and creative challenges.
We build strategies, develop ideas and deliver at scale, creating experiences that change the status quo for some of the world’s most exciting brands - across our core offers of Consulting, Destinations, Content and Live.
To get to ground-breaking ideas, we start with unexpected combinations. Research shows that the greatest accelerator of creativity is the diversity of talent in the team, and we actively recruit for unique individuals who embody our core beliefs and demonstrate the behaviors that underpin Independent Creativity.
Our Core Beliefs
We have identified four foundational beliefs that underpin Independent Creativity. More powerful than generic corporate values, they motivate us to act, to foster the behaviors that lead to success:
- We believe curiosity is the root of original insights and ideas... so we look at the world with fresh eyes, we experiment, invent and up-end conventions.
- We believe rigor results in better choices... so we ask precise, provocative questions.
- We believe bravery tames the unknown... so we demand ambition, confident that together we can meet ‘never been done before challenges’.
- We believe respect builds stronger teams and continued success... so we recognize the uniqueness and unique potential in each individual, we are accountable to each other, we play as a team.
Imagination is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
Imagination believes that diversity, equity and inclusion are more than just words, and more than a legal framework or a moral obligation - they are guiding principles that, when acted upon, make us stronger, more innovative and more creative as an organisation.
We commit to not only significantly increasing our efforts to effect change today, but also to ensure that our efforts will be sustained for the long-term. To support us on this journey we have appointed a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Board to help shape our plans to bring about positive change, to help us learn and keep us all moving forward together.
We believe the responsibility for a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace ultimately rests with all of us.
We believe that all employees should feel a sense of belonging at Imagination - regardless of their race, religion or belief, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability or background.
We believe racism has no place within our workplace or our work culture and we reject all forms of hatred, prejudice, intolerance and discrimination.
We believe that Black Lives Matter and it is our expectation that all employees become actively committed to making unbiased choices and are anti-racist in everything they do.
Our Imagination community must share and live these beliefs, as diversity makes us stronger.
Our priority is humanity and our efforts toward a more diverse, more equitable and more inclusive workplace are never done.
Check out the Detroit office
Learn more about what makes Imagination so unique and how you might thrive in our collaborative culture.